Suffolk County District Attorney Office reports 7.12.2019 – BOSTON, July 11, 2019 — Suffolk County District Attorney Rachael Rollins today joined dozens of EMTs, paramedics, and other staff from Boston EMS at the arraignment of an East Boston woman accused of stabbing an EMT yesterday afternoon.

JULIE TEJEDA, 31, of East Boston, appeared in Boston Municipal Court today on single counts of assault with intent to murder and assault on a public employee and two counts of assault and battery with a dangerous chemical. Upon the recommendation of the court’s mental health clinician, Judge Sally Kelly ordered the defendant to undergo a mental health evaluation.  The defendant will remain held without bail until her return to court July 31. 

“First and foremost, I’m grateful that the EMT who was violently attacked is recovering today; my thoughts and those of my Office are with her and her family.  I also want to thank her fellow first responder, whose brave and swift actions likely saved his colleague’s life, even as he was assaulted himself,” District Attorney Rollins said.  “The work that both EMTs did yesterday was extraordinary in courage, but utterly ordinary for first responders, who put their safety on the line every day that they put on their uniform and go to work.  We owe them our profound appreciation.  I want the victims and their department to know that they have the full support of my Office as the case moves forward, and we are committed to achieving accountability on their behalf.”

Assistant District Attorney Jessica Erickson told the court that the victim, an on-duty EMT, was rendering assistance to the defendant at approximately 4:00 p.m. yesterday when the defendant allegedly stabbed the victim multiple times.  Prosecutors said that the defendant then used pepper spray to further assault the stabbing victim and a second EMT who was driving the emergency vehicle and came to her aid. 

The stabbing victim was rushed to Massachusetts General Hospital, where she underwent emergency surgery. The second victim was also treated and ultimately released.

Boston Police located the defendant inside the ambulance in the area of 24 New Chardon Street.

The defendant was represented by attorney Kelly Murray and returns to court July 31.