Boston Strong news – Boston, MA: MA Dept Fire Services reports – Learn to use generators safely to prevent fires, carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning and electrocution.

Generators can be helpful when the power goes out for an extended period of time. It is important to know how use them safely to prevent fires, carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning and electrocution.

  • Place the generator outdoors facing away from doors, windows and vents. Never use a generator inside a house, basement or crawl space – not even inside a garage with the door open. When possible, place the generator 5-10 feet away from the house.
  • Plug appliances directly into the generator or use heavy-duty, outdoor rated extension cords, not to exceed the number of outlets on the generator. Make sure cords are free of cuts and tears and have all three prongs – especially the grounding pin.
  • Keep the generator dry. Operate on a dry surface under an open canopy or tent.
  • Dry your hands before touching the generator.
  • Let the generator cool before refueling. Fuel spilled on hot engine parts can ignite.

https://www.mass.gov/service-details/generator-safety